Friday, December 11, 2009

Viola da Gamba 2




A couple of posts back I showed an illustration I painted for a Viola da Gamba teacher. As is usual for my illustration I do several sketches preliminary sketches. The one the client ended up choosing was the stag. I did a dragon as well that I thought was interesting so I finished it up for myself. You'll notice the music notes floating around and above the character. When I originally did the sketches none of them included music notes. The idea came to me as I was finishing up the stag so I thought I'd throw them in because I thought it looked good. When I showed the final to the client, they didn't really like the notes. They weren't historically accurate to the vdg.

Luckily, I had put them on a separate layer so I just had to go back into Photoshop and turn that layer off. The moral of the story: stick to the sketches when doing the final image. Since this was a personal piece I could add whatever I felt like regardless of history.

No comments: