Saturday, March 28, 2009

self portrait continued


This is the nearly completed self portrait. In retrospect the pink ground was a mistake. When I went to put in the warm colors in the skin the background kept showing through and throwing me off. I should have worked from a blue or brown and built up the warmer skin. Also the green of the coat didn't really fit in with the colors I had going. I was successful in keeping my drawing intact and the values are fairly sold but the color and composition are really not exciting. I have been getting more and more interested in what kind of palettes artists are using and trying to limit my own. This painting's palette was out of control too wide I think. I've done some more paintings since this one with limited palettes. I'll scan those in when they dry and I'll get a better pic of this painting for the main page when I feel I am totally finished with it.

No comments: