Friday, March 4, 2011

More Rake Viz Dev

I took the day to finish off a couple of more pieces for my visual development portfolio. Check it out over at nateshawart.com. The character is from the Decemberist's album, The Hazards of Love. It is one of my favorite albums; a concept album, it tells the story of Margaret and a faun that she falls in love with. The faun's mother is jealous and does what she can to stop their trysts. At some point the rake comes in and kidnaps Margaret. The rake is an evil dude, his song is about his past. He gets married has kids but his wife dies in childbirth. Left with 3 or 4 children he goes about killing each one. After the deed is done he feels no remorse and goes about his evil deeds. I like drawing villains and I really like the Decemberists so I thought I'd give the character design a go. Once I finished the line up below, I wanted to do some action drawings. I quickly realised (I guess I hadn't thought about it too much before?) that this dude only does really bad stuff. I had to pick scenes of him doing bad stuff but infanticide might have crossed the line into questionable content for a portfolio.










Anywho, I had a good time drawing this guy, maybe I'll continue with the series once I have a bit more free time. (June?)

No comments: