Monday, September 16, 2013

31 Days of Cowboys

I've begun research for a graphic novel set in 1910 southern California that I will be writing and drawing. Part of my research has been looking for photo reference of what people wore in that time period and geographical location. I found a set of photographs from the Library of Congress and began drawing some characters from it. Its interesting what assumptions I had about people from that time period that were incorrect. My favorite clothing detail that I learned was that most men wore suspenders instead of belts. In the roughly 30 pictures of men I only saw one or two belts.

For the month of August I drew a character either from that reference or my head. I played around with style and techniques. These are a few of my favorites:

No comments: